Friday, August 11, 2017

Why you should stop agonizing and just do it




I am stubborn in a lot of ways like the fox in the above comic.  The most visible form of my stubbornness is my attention to detail and desire to be fully prepared for everything that I do.  The problem is, I am also a procrastinator.  I spend way more time brainstorming ideas than I do actually acting on these ideas.

The main example is related to the required number of blog posts for the summer clinic digital marketing workshop.  To get the Spark certification, we need to have 14 blog posts by the time the clinic ends (among other requirements).  I am an internet-introvert and I like everything to be as good as I can possibly get it if I plan on sharing it to the public.

My problem is, I let my 'desire for perfection' give me an excuse to put something off; I'm still coming up with ideas for blog posts waiting til I find the best one, but not actually writing any content.  I am currently in the midst of this as I write this blog post; I need to have 14 by 5pm today.  This is post 11/14 and I know I would've had better content if I didn't 'pussy-foot' around these last few weeks and just blogged!

It would have been easier for me to get it all out and then go back and edit later.  As stubborn as I may be, this has taught me a lesson that I hope stays with me as I am also sacrificing other opportunities by playing catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment